24 February 2009

And That's Okay


For a long time now, I guess maybe a little over a year, one of my most-used expressions has been, "And that's okay."  I never noticed that until I said it to myself this morning, and then I realised that I've used it a lot.  What it really means is, "That's how it is, and I don't have any choice but to pick up and move on from this."  I got let go by Mr. Fallen, and that was the most awful thing that ever happened to me emotionally, EVER , but it happens to people all the time; it just happened to me that time. And that's okay.  See how it works?

There's an okay group from the early 80s called ABC:  they had several outstanding songs and many only okay ones.  One of their only okay songs, though, ends with their lead singer, Martin Fry, singing, 

If you gave me a pound for the moments I've missed
And I got dancing lessons for all the lips I should have kissed,
I'd be a millionaire;
I'd be a Fred Astaire.

Man, I love those lines.  I knew what they meant when I was 13, and I've known what they mean ever since, too.  He doesn't sound angry when he sings them, or regretful - just resigned.  I think those lines are Martin Fry's "And that's okay."

And that's okay.

No comments: